Maintaining healthy mental health is vital to overall well-being. A variety of activities can help keep your mental health in tip-top shape. Keeping your mental health positive helps ward off illness and better cope with stressful situations. Working on self-care is not easy, but it can make you less prone to addiction and other mental health disorders.
If you or a loved one is struggling with your mental health, mental health treatment at The Willows at Red Oak Recovery® can help. Call us today at 855.773.0614 to learn how to improve mental health.
How to Improve Mental Health
There are several ways to improve mental health. Here are five significant efforts that can improve mental health:
1. Connect with others — Connecting with others is one of the best things you can do for your mental health. Whether it’s spending time with family and friends, volunteering, or joining a club, being around others can help reduce stress and improve your mood.
2. Get active — Getting regular exercise is not only good for your physical health, but it’s also good for your mental health. Exercise releases endorphins, which have mood-boosting effects.
3. Eat a healthy diet — Eating a healthy diet is important for both your physical and mental health. Eating nutritious foods can help reduce stress and improve your mood.
4. Get enough sleep — Getting enough sleep is crucial for good mental health. Most people need around eight hours of sleep per night.
5. Reduce stress — Managing stress is an important part of maintaining good mental health. There are several ways to reduce stress, such as exercise, relaxation techniques, and spending time in nature.
Signs You May Need to Improve Your Mental Health
There are several signs that you may need to improve your mental health. If you’re experiencing any of the following, it may be time to seek help:
- Feeling anxious or down more often than usual
- Withdrawing from friends and activities you used to enjoy
- Sleeping too much or having trouble sleeping
- Eating too much or not enough
- Experiencing changes in weight
- Feeling hopelessness or worthlessness
- Having difficulty concentrating or making decisions
The most common mental health issues people struggle with are:
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Eating disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Self-Care for Despair
Even if you feel hopeless, there are ways to improve your mental health. If you cannot improve your mental health on your own, consider seeking professional help. Red Oak Recovery® offers women’s addiction treatment to treat trauma, anxiety, depression, and low self-esteem.
We can help you learn self-care techniques to improve your mental health and live a fulfilling life. We offer a 90-day residential and intensive outpatient (IOP) program for those who need more flexible treatment options. We also provide extended care for those who need more time to heal.
Additionally, we offer:
- Individualized treatment plans
- Evidence-based therapies
- Trauma-informed care
- Aftercare planning
- Women’s family therapy program
- Experiential therapy for women
- Recreational therapy for women
- Group therapy program
- Individual therapy program
- Equine therapy
- Adventure therapy
- Hiking therapy
- Animal-assisted therapy
- Art therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- EMDR therapy
- Meditation therapy
Improve Your Mental Health at Red Oak Recovery®
Mental health is always a work in progress. At Red Oak Recovery®, we understand that it can be difficult to improve your mental health on your own. Our caring and knowledgeable staff is here to help you every step of the way. We offer a variety of treatment options to meet your unique needs. Contact us today by using our online form or by calling us at 855.773.0614 to learn more about how we can help you improve your mental health.