Are you a woman struggling with substance or alcohol use? The recovery process may seem impossible, and you may be wondering, “what is rehab like for women?” The Willows at Red Oak Recovery® offers a women-only rehab program and addiction treatment center in NC. We created our rehab environment and therapy programs with women in mind.
At our rehab center for women, we offer coping mechanisms to overcome addiction. Contact us at 855.773.0614 to learn how we can help you heal.
Addiction For Women vs. Men
Studies find that men and women experience addiction differently. These variations affect what rehab is like for women. Understanding these differences in what rehab is like is critical for getting the proper care. For example, women who misuse substances often:
- Become addicted more quickly. Smaller doses may affect women faster than men.
- React differently to drugs. Women usually have more intense cravings for specific substances than men.
- Experience hormonal differences. The different chemical makeup of a woman’s body impacts drug recovery.
- Struggle with domestic problems. Domestic abuse and emotional difficulties may make quitting drugs more difficult for women.
- Feel anxiety and fear. Panic attacks, depression, and anxiety are all more common in women who misuse drugs than men.
- Misuse while pregnant. Substance misuse during pregnancy is dangerous for the woman and her unborn child.
In particular, the last concern impacts what rehab is like for women. Pregnant women who misuse substances pass addictions down to their babies. Abuse of alcohol and tobacco could negatively impact the child’s development.
What Is Rehab Like For Women vs. Men?
A quality women’s rehab center must gear treatment toward women’s specific needs and concerns. If you’re asking yourself, “what is rehab like?” read the list below to understand what rehab is like for women vs. men:
- Role of relationships – Women are more likely to find themselves in a codependent relationship with enablers. Codependency requires specific therapies and treatment programs.
- Role of past traumatic events – Women are more likely to have various traumatic triggers. These triggers lead them to cope with substance misuse. Trauma includes physical, emotional, and sexual abuse. What rehab is like for women depends on the availability of trauma therapy.
- Differences in physical nature – Women differ physically from men and are often smaller. Women, therefore, process addictive substances faster, creating stronger, faster, and more severe reactions. Since the initial response to the substance is higher, withdrawal symptoms also tend to worsen for women. Other differences include the nutritional needs and health concerns women may have when entering rehab.
What Is Rehab Like at our Substance Abuse Treatment Center?
Our substance misuse treatment programs free women from destructive and self-sabotaging behaviors that stem from trauma and addiction. Our women-only program offers a safe and supportive environment. With security and support, women can enhance the quality of their day-to-day lives.
What is rehab like for women at The Willows at Red Oak Recovery®? Our program relies on five primary ideals:
- Safety – Our program provides physical and emotional security for all of our clients.
- Peer support – Our small program provides individualized care. Our program also provides peer support with a group of close-knit women and team members.
- Respect – Our team honors and respects your journey to recovery.
- Collaboration – We encourage your loved ones to be part of the recovery process.
- Reflection – Our expansive, open spaces are perfect for meditation, stillness, and connecting with nature.
Explore Our Rehab at The Willows at Red Oak Recovery®
Our dually credentialed substance misuse and mental health clinicians treat both mental health and addiction. In the addiction treatment center at The Willows at Red Oak Recovery®, we use a variety of programs. Our wide variety of treatments helps women embrace change. Learn more about our therapies, including:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT)
- Experiential therapy
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Don’t let substance misuse, trauma, or mental illness keep you from living the life you deserve. What is rehab like for women like you? Come to The Willows at Red Oak Recovery®and see for yourself. We’re ready to help you today. Contact us online or call us at 855.773.0614 for the women’s rehab program you need.