When people experience a traumatic event, some develop post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) to cope with the trauma. Although not all people who face trauma also experience PTSD, a majority of the victims of trauma do. For people struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder, there are many options for treatment programs for PTSD in a professional setting to ease the symptoms of this disorder. Among the best options are residential treatment programs for PTSD.
At The Willows at Red Oak Recovery, our team provides comprehensive treatment for various mental health disorders, including our PTSD treatment program. If you or someone you care about might benefit from our treatment programs for PTSD, reach out to our team online or at 855.773.0614 for more information about what sets us apart from other mental health treatment providers in western North Carolina.
Common Causes of Trauma
Post-traumatic stress disorder results from traumatic events in a person’s past. Although there are many different causes of trauma, some common triggers people go through.
Some of the most common causes of trauma include:
- Physical, emotional, or sexual abuse
- Combat in a war zone
- Domestic violence
- Death of a loved one
- Serious accidents
Once someone goes through a traumatic event, post-traumatic stress disorder might manifest itself in the survivor’s mind. Although it can be difficult for someone who is not a mental health expert to diagnose PTSD, some of the most typical symptoms of this disorder include:
- Easily startled
- Avoidance of triggers of the traumatic event
- Overwhelming fear
- Sudden mood swings or bursts of anger
- Guilt and depression
- Social isolation
- Panic attacks
Residential Treatment Programs for PTSD
There are many effective treatment options for post-traumatic stress disorder, including intensive outpatient programs (IOP) and outpatient programs. However, many of those struggling with PTSD find that residential treatment programs are often the right level of care that these clients need to regain control of their lives.
The best residential treatment programs for PTSD will provide a range of therapy options as the basis for their clients’ treatment plans. A residential treatment program that uses a foundation of therapeutic approaches is usually best for getting to the root causes of the trauma.
Therapy options in residential treatment programs for PTSD include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – Perhaps the most common form of therapy, CBT allows clients to work individually with a qualified therapist to examine the traumatic event and learn coping strategies to help the client overcome the event’s impact.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) – Dialectical behavior therapy is a way for trauma survivors to lessen harmful emotions and manage their feelings. DBT also enhances the client’s ability to accept that the event happened to move on with their lives.
- Family therapy – When trauma is rooted, if it happened to a family, family therapy is an excellent method for identifying the trauma and improving communication skills. When families are better able to communicate, they are more likely to express their thoughts and emotions honestly.
- Group therapy – PTSD can isolate people from loved ones. Hence, group therapy sessions allow for the opportunity for people to recognize that other clients are going through the same journey.
Also, before enrolling in a residential treatment program for PTSD, it is crucial to reach out to the staff and ask questions about their programs, services, and amenities. A virtual or in-person tour of the facility is often the best way to determine whether it would be the right fit for the client’s needs.
Explore the Residential Treatment Programs for PTSD at The Willows at Red Oak Recovery
The Willows at Red Oak Recovery provides an array of treatment programs, including comprehensive care for post-traumatic stress disorder in a residential program. Learn more about how our team can help you or a loved one get back on the right track by calling The Willows at Red Oak Recovery at 855.773.0614 or contacting us online.