Men and women experience life differently. This recognition naturally extends to addiction and how it should be treated. However, mixed-gender addiction treatment remains the norm for most addiction treatment providers. At the same time, a growing number of addiction treatment centers have developed addiction therapy programs designed specifically for women. Many addiction therapy programs are also used when treating men who struggle with addiction. The difference is in how they have been customized to serve women. Discover the benefits of the women’s addiction treatment center at The Willows at Red Oak Recovery® when you call 855.773.0614.
Benefits of Women’s Addiction Therapy Programs
Many people may not have considered why specific programming for men and women is necessary when it comes to addiction treatment. Not everyone needs single-gender treatment to achieve sobriety and experience successful recovery. However, the benefits of an addiction therapy program designed for women are real and not to be ignored.
Safety is one of the most significant benefits of women’s addiction therapy programs. Women who struggle with addiction may have histories of trauma or abuse. It is imperative that their recovery takes place somewhere safe and protected from potential relapse triggers. Keeping their environment single-gender often goes a long way toward providing the physical and emotional safety they need.
Another factor that sets women’s addiction therapy programs apart is their understanding and expertise in female biology and health. The unfortunate reality is that the medical community has historically based its research, conclusions, diagnoses, and treatment on male biology. The addiction treatment field is no exception. Addiction treatment therapy programs designed for women can correct the gaps in understanding and treatment that an otherwise male-centric approach would overlook or exacerbate.
Common Types of Addiction Therapy Programs for Women
Numerous different addiction therapy programs exist and help people toward brighter futures every day. Still, a handful of addiction therapy programs continue to stand the test of time. A few of the best addiction therapy programs for women include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT is widely applicable to different types of addiction. It is so often implemented in treating women who struggle with addiction due to its action-focused approach. CBT emphasizes changing the negative thought and behavior patterns that keep someone stuck in their addiction.
- Rational emotive behavior therapy (REBT): REBT is a similar therapy program that gives a bit more emphasis to helping people recognize their intrinsic power. Despite whatever circumstances or challenges they may have faced, REBT helps people understand where they have control and how they can pursue recovery by changing self-perception and negative thinking.
- Contingency management: Contingency management is a great therapy program to help with initial recovery and long-term sobriety. It uses positive reinforcement in the form of rewards to encourage people to pursue healthy behaviors like remaining drug-free.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT): DBT is an excellent therapy program for women struggling with addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders. It helps people learn skills like mindfulness, emotional regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness.
- Yoga therapy: Yoga therapy is a unique but highly effective approach to addiction treatment. It helps women develop a stronger mind-body connection that can be vital in early sobriety.
These are only a few of the effective therapies available at our women’s treatment center.
Learn More at The Willows at Red Oak Recovery®
The Willows at Red Oak Recovery® is a leader in women’s addiction recovery. All of our programs are designed with women’s needs in mind. You can expect to find methods like CBT, REBT, and holistic therapy when you engage in treatment at The Willows at Red Oak Recovery®. In addition, our women’s addiction treatment center specializes in trauma therapy, disordered eating treatment, and more concerns that predominantly affect women. Learn more about how The Willows at Red Oak Recovery® can partner with you to help transform your life through recovery by contacting 855.773.0614.