Many women today struggle with body image issues and accepting their appearance. The media often portrays unrealistic beauty and weight standards that are unattainable for many. It is not uncommon for someone to resort to extreme dieting or form an unhealthy perception of food as a way to cope. If left unchecked, these harmful eating habits can present more significant physical and mental issues.
At The Willow Red Oak Recovery®, we provide women’s disordered eating support for those struggling. Call 855.773.0614 to speak with someone from our caring and compassionate team about our various treatments and therapies to help women heal their minds and bodies as they overcome their eating disorders.
Understanding Eating Disorders
Eating disorders are mental and physical illnesses that impact a person’s relationship with food. Some develop an eating disorder as a reaction to poor self-image. Others may neglect their nutrition because they are dealing with trauma, a mental illness, or addiction. Regardless, an eating disorder can affect anyone. It does not matter what their age, weight, race, or gender identity is. However, they tend to occur more commonly among women. When a woman experiences low self-esteem in their body, they can neglect their nutritional needs and form unhealthy eating habits.
There are many misconceptions surrounding eating disorders. For example, some may believe they involve people starving themselves or only occur in skinny people. There are different eating disorders, each with specific symptoms and elements. When someone struggles with disordered eating, they should consider a professional treatment program. Receiving proper treatment and nutritional therapy is beneficial for healing and improving your physical and mental health.
What Are the Different Eating Disorders?
The three most common eating disorders are anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge eating disorder. Each involves a type of unhealthy relationship with food and eating. Below are descriptions of the different eating disorders and their specific characteristics:
- Anorexia nervosa: People with anorexia nervosa typically struggle with weight loss, distorted body image, and trouble maintaining a healthy weight for their height, age, and stature. They are likely to restrict their caloric intake and what foods they eat.
- Bulimia nervosa: This disorder is characterized by an unhealthy cycle of binge eating and offsetting behaviors like self-induced vomiting to undo the effects of overeating.
- Binge eating disorder: Individuals struggling with binge eating face recurrent episodes of eating significant amounts of food, feeling out of control during a binge, and feeling shame or guilty afterward.
Individuals with these different eating disorders have different relationships with eating, but all are unhealthy and can be dangerous. At The Willows at Red Oak Recovery®, we can provide eating disorder treatment for various eating disorders. Clients can participate in our nutritional therapy program during treatment to help them better understand their illness and establish a healthy relationship with food. In our various therapy programs, clients reflect on the root causes of their condition and address these concerns. They also learn beneficial coping methods as their body changes and gets healthier.
What to Expect from Eating Disorder Treatment
Some of the therapy services we provide for clients receiving eating disorder treatment are:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) program
- Psychotherapy program
- Trauma therapy program
- Group therapy program
- Family therapy program
- Individual therapy program
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy program
- Rational emotive behavior therapy
- Experiential therapy program
- Recreational therapy program
- Yoga therapy program
- Nutritional therapy program
- Recovery management
In addition to eating disorder treatment, we provide many dynamic therapeutic processes and treatment programs to promote mental, physical, and spiritual healing.
Find Eating Disorder Treatment with The Willows at Red Oak Recovery®
For those struggling with an eating disorder, our caring and compassionate team can help you overcome and achieve your life goals. Contact The Willows at Red Oak Recovery® today at 855.773.0614 to get started on your healing journey.